Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Favorite Places: NYC



New York City is one of my favorite places in the world. It was one of the first getaways Dave and I took while we were dating, and we both feel in love with the city. Since then, we try and make a point to visit NYC at least once or twice a year. Below is a guide to my favorite NYC restaurants, bars and places to visit. I foresee a weekend trip to NYC is my near future....

Restaurants
Sarabeth's Kitchen
The best place for a simple and delish NYC brunch. Luckily for you, they have several locations, but I prefer the location on Amsterdam Avenue in upper West Side. You can also order Sarabeth's amazing preserves, cakes and cookies online.

Popover Cafe
This is most charming little cafe, also on Amsterdam. For some time, Dave and I would continue to stay in the upper west side, where his lovely aunt and uncle would let us stay in their charming apartment. This restaurant provides the most amazing popovers with homemade strawberry cream cheese, as you await your meal. This is a hidden gem!

Emporio
Nestled in the Nolita district, just near Little Italy, this Italian eatery makes you feel as though you have stepped inside a rustic cabin in northern Italy. This was the location of Dave's surprise birthday party in 2010. The restaurant's manager, Giuseppe, was an absolute pleasure to work with and helped me plan a private dinner for 14 in NYC which was a challenge in itself. The end result was amazing! They also serve lunch.

The Red Egg
An amazing restaurant in China Town where they serve dim sum all day long, this is a place that you need to plan to stay at least an hour or two to take in the scenery, other restaurant guests and enjoy a leisurely meal. Get ready to be stuffed :).

Carnegie Deli
Dave made me go the famous Carnegie Deli during our last visit in the Spring of 2010, and I am so glad he did. After waiting in line for 30 minutes, I hoped to be pleased with a mouth-watering deli sandwich; let's just the say the Carnegie Deli didn't disappoint! You also have the try the cheesecake, which one entire cheesecake weighs 11 lbs! But you are on vacation, right?!?!


Hotels

Radisson Hotel on Lexington
With so many hotels to choose from, this is a regular staple for me because of its location. The rooms are bigger than the NYC norm and you are in prime location to the subway, Times Square, the Theater District and more.

Gild Hall
When I had to go to NYC for work and had to be close to the financial district, I would stay in this quaint little boutique hotel. Their bar and library are so cozy you just want to order a Bailey's and coffee and curly up with a book or two.

If you planning a vacation around the corner, try travel zoo. A great site for amazing hotel deals.

Stores and More
Zabar's
For all of the foodies in the world, this store is for you. The coffee, the bread, the smoked salmon, the gift baskets.....I could keep on and on. There is a small park located just a block away and Dave and I try to get breakfast at Zabar's and take our goodies across the street to eat and people watch. Zabar's also has a small cafe where you can order your breakfast/lunch to go. Also, you can order online! The Babka is to die for :)

The Back Room
Do you want to feel like you are in a super cool, edgy speak-easy? This is the place to go. The Scroggin's lead us to this hidden bar during our New Years Eve NYC extravaganza three years ago, and it also made the pub crawl list during Dave's 30th birthday. Amazing.....

Union Square GreenMarket
A farmer's market on steroids, the GreenMarket features booths of breads, jewelry, jams, fruits, crafts, cooking demonstrations and more.

What Goes Around Comes Around
A vintage haven, this store's collection includes an array of clothes that includes century's of amazing fashion. Budget for both your purchases and time, as I swear you come out thinking you have only been in there for 30 minutes and somehow it has been three hours!

1 comment:

  1. I love NYC and try to get there as often as possible. Next trip, I'm definitely going to try the Popover Cafe, Zabars and What Goes Around Comes Around. And, as a Farmer's Market Junkie, I'd love the Union Square Greenmarket. I think I'll have to check baggage the next trip!

    ReplyDelete